Mission: Malawi 2018
Sermon on the Mount (Mulanje)
We climbed from the Fort Lister trailhead to Sombani Hut with 28 guides and porters from Climbing For Christ’s Mulanje Massif Chapter. It was a day-hike that was blessed beyond measure. First, we were on the Mulanje Massif, also known as Mount Mulanje, a hiking paradise in southern Malawi that contains 20 peaks above 2,500 meters (8,200 feet), including the country’s highpoint at 3,002 meters (9,849 feet). Second, we were climbing with our brothers to teach on the mountain.
At the suggestion of national missionary Damson Samson, we took them through the Sermon on the Mount verse by verse while at Sombani Hut (around 6,800 feet/2,080 meters). What an amazing experience: God-honoring fellowship, prayer, and worship in a crowded hut on a beautiful mountainside.
Members from this chapter of C4C, which Damson formed in March 2016, have told us they have learned more spiritually from Climbing For Christ than from any church or in any other way. They are thankful to God for the way He has used this ministry to reach them and teach them so they may in turn reach and teach others both on and off the mountain.
The Mulanje Massif Chapter, modeled after our Kilimanjaro Chapter in neighboring Tanzania, is one of many projects Climbing For Christ has carried out in Malawi since we first visited in 2010. We also:
- Sponsor 22 children in the care of ministry partner Duncan Nyozani through Project 1:27. This was the entry point for C4C into Malawi.
- Saw Project 1:27, based on James 1:27 (“to look after orphans and widows in their distress”), expanded by Damson in January 2016 to include the countless elderly widows in surrounding villages. This has resulted in the delivery of clothing, food, the building of homes, a farming initiative, and the teaching of the Word.
- Introduced Duncan’s ministry, which includes three churches, to Hope Lutheran Church in Rochester, NY, USA on Mission: Malawi 2016. This was the start of a sibling relationship between those two ministries, which we will believe will bless both communities of believers.
- Do outreach among the under-evangelized Ngoni people group.
- Continue to disciple and evangelize members of the Mulanje Massif Chapter. To assist these brothers in Christ, we funded the start of a piggery.
PRAY: For the needs of a hurting people in one of the world’s poorest nations.
GIVE: To support any of the many programs carried out by Climbing For Christ and African staff member Damson Samson.
GO! We will return to the Mulanje Massif to teach guides and porters for several days on the mountain, and visit orphans, widows, and Ngoni people from Aug. 17-26. Cost is estimated at $2,250. For C4C members only. Email info@ClimbingForChrist.org for a mission application.
EXPEDITION PAGE PHOTO: Climbing For Christ’s Gary Fallesen and Damson Samson joined 28 guides and porters on Mulanje Massif. Gary taught about the Sermon on the Mount at the Sombani Hut, where this photo was taken with Matambale Peak (2,642 meters/8,667 feet) in the background.