Project Prayer: Ramadan 2016 - Day 22
Day 22: Sharing the Gospel with Muslims, part 4 — A growing opportunity
By Jordan Rowley, spiritual coordinator, Climbing For Christ
Pilgrims performing the Hajj, one of the Five Pillars of Islam. (Wikipedia)
Right before our eyes, the general Muslim population is increasing in number, influence, and position all around the world.
As of 2010, the Religion of Islam made up almost a quarter of the global population, according to the Pew Research Center. They predict that if current trends continue, the Muslim population will increase by 73 percent by the year 2050. This, compared to the Pew Research Center’s projected Christian growth rate of 35 percent (only barely keeping up with the overall global population increase), means there will be just as many Muslims in the world as there are Christians – both at about 30 percent – by 2050.
According the 2016 edition of the 30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World resource, “Islam is the fastest growing major religion, and has been growing since its inception in the Arabian Desert nearly 14 centuries ago. Every year, Islam adds more than the population of Canada – some 37 million people – to its ranks. While today most of this growth is the result of a high birth rate, historically Islam has also been a conquering and converting religion.”
All that said, we have to acknowledge the fact that many, if not most, of these people mentioned are not what we would call “true believers.” They may only be labeled “Christian” or “Muslim” because of the culture they live in. However, these statistics do forecast a growing change in the global make-up, and a growing opportunity for Christians to engage with our Muslim neighbors at home and abroad.
In his first epistle, the Apostle Peter wrote, “always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you.” In other words, as Christians, we should be knowledgeable about our own beliefs as well as the basic beliefs of those around us so that we can be good ambassadors of Jesus Christ and deliver His Good News to “everyone who asks!”
If global trends maintain their current course and if the Lord should tarry, our opportunity to witness to Muslims will only continue to increase. Now more than ever, we need to be ready to respond – in truth and in love – just as Jesus would.
Praise God, that we nor any Muslim man, woman or child are a statistic to Him. He counts the hairs on their heads. He knows all by name. He loves them and gave His life that they might be saved. And He calls you and me to go!
Committed to Commission
In Matthew 28:18-20, we read: “And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, ‘all authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’ Amen.”
Our mission could not be clearer! We must be faithful to obey these parting words of our Lord.
Wherever He leads, may we follow! And may we not ever be discouraged by overwhelming statistics. After all, “He’s got the whole world in His hands,” as the children’s song goes. Be brave. Be bold. Be obedient.
Is He speaking to your heart now about a mission trip, or about that co-worker or neighbor, or simply about devoting more time to praying for the Muslim world? Lord, show us the way, and give us hearts to obey.
- Day 1: Introduction to 30 days of prayer and preparation to preach the Good News to the Muslim world.
- Day 2: Understanding Islam, part 1 —Allah and his prophet.
- Day 3: The honor/shame culture, part 1.
- Day 4: Sharing the Gospel, part 1 — Truth and love, no compromise.
- Day 5: The Muslim unengaged.
- Day 6: What’s so radical about loving Muslims?
- Day 7: Entering rooms in the House of Islam —Pakistan.
- Day 8: Entering rooms in the House of Islam — Nigeria.
- Day 9: Entering rooms in the House of Islam — Turkey.
- Day 10: Understanding Islam, part 2.
- Day 11: Sharing the Gospel, part 2 — Simply Jesus.
- Day 12: Overcoming obstacles, part 1 — Family, fear, community and tradition.
- Day 13: Something is happening! New ways for new movements.
- Day 14: Entering rooms in the House of Islam – East Africa.
- Day 15: Understanding Islam, part 3 — Beliefs and duties
- Day 16: Sharing the Gospel, part 3 — Persevering in prayer.
- Day 17: The honor/shame culture, part 2 — Who I am.
- Day 18: Overcoming obstacles, part 2 — A history of conflict and contempt.
- Day 19: Muslim extremists — praying for our enemies.
- Day 20: Entering rooms in the House of Islam —Indonesia.
- Day 21: The honor/shame culture, part 3 — For His purpose.
- Day 22: Sharing the Gospel with Muslims, part 4 — A growing opportunity.